Thursday, June 3, 2010

A little about us...and our move

My name is Rebecca, aka Becks, and my husband is Jamie, aka Jex. We are a newly-wedded couple and we just made our first big step into the great unknown. After we got married back in December, Jamie and I have been living quite close to our parents, both sets. We just made the big move to Kentucky last Tues! We are so excited to be out and on our own. But I'll tell you, we got off to a pretty rocky start. Let me start from the very beginning.

Before we got married we were looking at our options on what to do for a living. Jamie in his pondering asked a good family friend, Momma Gardener, what she thought he should do. She in her infinite wisdom advised him about a wonderful college that her son, Kurt, went to and about the wonderful scholarships from the Army ROTC program. Since then we've been trying to pursue this dream and hope for our future.

In doing our homework for moving up to KY, we were able to visit this wonderful state back in February. While we were here, we toured the campus and looked at the different programs that we might be studying in. During this time, we fell in love...with the place that is! Well, he fell in love and I just increased in love. So, we decided to move up here and at the end of May we got our chance.

Now, for those of you that don't know my husband, his luck is either a 6 or a 1 on a die roll. That was definitely apparent on our move up. We had packed our things and gone over to my parents in Scottsboro. The morning of our move we left from their house to go up from there, figuring that it would make it slightly easier on us since we have a kayak strapped to the roof and a bike attached to the trunk of our Dodge Stratus. About 2 or 3 hours into our 7 hour drive, our car starts to warm up. So, we pull over and we check out the water levels, but its all OK and we start off again. Back on the highway it starts getting warmer and then it tips into the red for the heat. "Oh poo!" is all I can think as not but 2 miles more along the highway we pull over again. This time we check everything, the oil, the water, the transmission fluid. We fill up everything and we try again. Nope! We end up pushing it as we get to the next exit and we finally make it to a garage. Thank heavens the guy was absolutely the nicest mechanic. He worked on our car for about an hour and deduced that it was probably a cracked head gasket and filled our engine back up with water. The man, who at this point is my saving grace, didn't charge us anything for all of the hard work done. And I'd like to add that our kitten didn't help the hour of waiting because the whole time she was trying to escape from our car. Thank goodness we finally get to go on the road, and we thought that we were in like Flin when all of the sudden it started doing it again. The mechanic told us that if it did it again to just fill it up with water the same way he did. All in all, our move took a whole 13 hours instead of the 7 that it was supposed to take. Wow, isn't he a lucky guy?

But I really can't complain too much, because he did get us the ability to camp at a state park with out paying for it. We arrived at the campsite too late to register and we left too early to register that morning either. When we didn't receive any citation we figured it was definitely a blessing from Heavenly Father. We were even more blessed to be the first people at our new land lord's office because we were very lucky to get one of the last places that he had for rent. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice place and we LOVE it, but there was a flood a few weeks ago and all of the victims who lost their homes are now renting. So it was an absolute steal. We even had 3 people come in while we were going over the lease! But were able to move in that day and it actually feels nice and cozy. When I find up my camera I'll post some pictures, but for now this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment